Sunday, April 15, 2007

McDonald’s New Labor Problem


I was driving home from church when my 9 year old son noticed that McDonald’s was flying the American Flag upside down. I turned the car around and decided to find out why? When I asked the manager she said, “Oh my God!”

She directed an employee to go out and fix it. Still, I can’t help but think this is a sign of a larger problem. Was this just a simple mistake or did the employee not know the flag was upside down? Why did it take over an hour and a half for someone to bring it to their attention? Does McDonald’s need to incorporate flag etiquette into their employee training? What do you think?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

When so intended, flying the flag upside-down is a sign of dissension. Maybe the worker who raised it that morning was trying to send a message to the public that there is something very wrong in this country when it comes to working people!

Anonymous said...

Maybe this is just another example of what happens when you only pay minimum wages. I am aware that today we have a fairly progressive minimum wage, but it is still obviously very lacking...

Anonymous said...

She should have called the police and stated, "The American flag is upsice down at McDonald's. I think there might be a robery or something else happening." The flag upside down is a national distress signal. My fear is that the general public will look upon it as more mexicans (they don't deserve a capital letter) protesting and a real need go unanswered. Remember the boy who cried, "Wolf!"?