Monday, March 24, 2008

Ascent Warner Center Up In Smoke











It never ceases to amaze me how some developers will cut corners on construction by hiring non-union subcontractors then act surprised when things don’t work out. Today I turned on the radio to hear the news of a fire at a project I’m only too familiar with; The Ascent in Warner Center. I’ve referred to this project as the “Ass-Scent” in the past. I’ve visited this job site many times and I’ve always been amazed that inspectors haven’t shut it down. In my opinion the quality of construction is terrible.

I’ve worked in the industry for 20 years. My first union electrical construction project was the Trillium just 2 building to the North. For 20 years I’ve driven by those towers and thought what a great job we did. I’m proud of those towers. It’s a good thing too because this is my neighborhood. I’ve lived here all my life. We don’t need KB Homes building some cheap ass second rate piece of crap in the San Fernando Valley. Shame on them!

There was a concern at one point that the fire might spread to another recently completed project to the North. That didn’t happen. Thank God all the workers at the Ascent were able to escape! Had the Santa Ana winds been fanning the flames, this poorly constructed (in my opinion) residential tinderbox could have turned out to be a catastrophe.

Afterwards workers hanging out across the street were warned not to speculate about the cause of the fire, but the word was already out….. According to 2 electricians on the scene, sparks were seen falling in a bathroom shortly before the evacuation. Where were the fire extinguishers??? Were they even used? Were they charged? Was someone cutting a corner? Will someone please ask these questions in the coming days?
Dozens of fire trucks lined Irwin Street and smoke continued to bellow from the center of the mostly wood residential project. A fast walking WRI employee said he had never been on a project that caught fire in the past. I pressed him for more information but was told that arson investigators are on the scene and that he had no more comments.

There were early reports in the news that the building is a total loss. I think this is a little premature. The fire fighters seem to think it was contained to the 4th floor. What I can tell you is that anyone that purchases one of these condominiums should have their head examined. Why would anyone want to take the risk? And why would any insurance company want to touch it? If the Building and Safety Department doesn’t take a closer look at other residential projects more problems like these could arise or should I say “Ascend”.





No comments: